17 July 2007

Palais Royal & Tuileries Grande Roue

Palais Royal is so beautiful! I stumbled on it a few days earlier looking for the Marc Jacobs store [which is only men's and a tiny women's collection section] & had to come back to see more! I'm not sure exactly what the situation is, but there are all these striped columns coming straight out of the ground in the courtyard - the photo doesn't really capture the crazy visual play against the old building! Adjacent to the palais are the gardens, which like every other jardin in Paris, is perfectly manicured and full of couples canoodling on benches.


Just across the street from the palais is the Louvre, where we spent a full 4 hours going to every wing [something I've never been able to do before]. But before the serious museum-ing, we stopped at the carnival that I've been passing almost everyday along the Tuileries, trying my hardest to resist the smell of churros. Well, I gave in.

I'm blaming childhood nostalgia. Although, I will say, French churros are MUCH healthier than anything I've ever seen at Disneyland. For one, they make the dough and fry them right in front of you, & just lightly dust them with sugar. Nutella is obviously the additive of choice, but I did miss the perfectly homogenous cinnamon-sugar American version. We got on the ferris wheel and I got to snap a few photos of Paris from up high before [of course] my camera battery died.

There's the view down on the carnival and rue Rivoli, which cuts Paris right in half and can take you straight from one end to the other! And now for the amazing view from the top of the wheel: rive gauche and droit, all the way up to Sacre Coeur!

No comments: